What a Davenport Personal Injury Lawyer Wants You to Know
Most of us can share a story about someone we know who’s been injured in a serious accident.
Perhaps they were in a car crash, or hit while riding their bike. Or maybe a friend’s child was injured while at a pool party, or a co-worker’s mother slipped and fell in a nursing home.
While these types of stories may be familiar, most of us share another thought: this could never happen to me.
This sentiment is one of the reasons that suffering an injury, especially a serious one, can be so shocking.
If you’ve been harmed and another party was involved, you may have a personal injury claim. Our attorneys are here to provide you with support, guidance, and legal counsel throughout the process.
Our Davenport, Iowa Practice Areas
At the law office of VanDerGinst Law, our lawyers are passionate about helping those who have been injured in a wide array of accident types – if you’ve been harmed, we want to help.
Our Davenport practice areas include:
- Motor vehicle accidents of all types, including car accidents, commercial vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, truck accidents, and bicycle accidents;
- Workers’ compensation and workplace injury claims;
- Intentional torts and defamation;
- Medical malpractices;
- Products liability; and
- Premises liability.
What Types of Evidence Will Be Necessary to Prove My Personal Injury Claim?
When you are injured and another person is involved, you can hold that person liable for the full extent of your damages if you can prove that your injuries would not have occurred but for their negligence. (Technically, there are four elements of a personal injury claim: existence of duty of care, breach of duty of care, causation, and damages). In order to prove this, you will need to collect and submit a variety of evidence types.
Some of the best evidence that can be used in a personal injury claim includes:
- Eyewitnesses’ statements;
- Police reports;
- Medical reports;
- Experts’ opinions, ranging from doctors to accountants to accident reconstructionist reports and more;
- Personal journals that discuss your accident and injuries;
- The testimonies of friends and family;
- Video footage and photographs; and
If you cannot collect this evidence on your own after an accident—due to the seriousness of your injuries or other reasons–our lawyers can handle an investigation on your behalf.
Should I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
We are often asked this question by our clients and those who are considering our services.
Is it necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit?
We want to reassure you that our attorneys in Davenport, Iowa do have trial and litigation experience and will be prepared to represent you if a lawsuit is necessary. That being said, filing a lawsuit is usually a last-case scenario; an option that is turned to only when all other dispute resolution methods, like mediation or even arbitration, have been exhausted.
Most personal injury claims settle out of court, which means saved time, money, and emotional heartache for the plaintiffs involved.
The Role of a Personal Injury Attorney
If you have suffered an injury and are on the fence about working with an attorney, it may be helpful for you to learn exactly what your attorney does and what their role will be throughout the duration of your personal injury case.
- Investigation. As stated above, your attorney can investigate your case. This means hiring experts, looking at evidence, and getting to the bottom of what happened and who’s to blame.
- Representation. Another major title of your attorney is that of representative in all interactions you have with the at-fault party and the insurance companies involved.
- Negotiator. Your attorney is responsible for reviewing a settlement offer, advising you regarding that offer, and then (if appropriate) rejecting the offer and negotiating for a greater settlement award.
Our lawyers will also be responsible for preserving evidence and data for your claim, calculating your damages, and advising you of your options.
Your lawyer will also make sure your lawsuit (if necessary) is filed within Iowa’s statute of limitations.
Reach Out to a Davenport Attorney Today
Suffering a serious injury can be terrifying, and you may feel very alone in the aftermath. Our attorneys want you to know that we are here at that we care about you.
For your free consultation with a personal injury lawyer from the office of VanDerGinst Law, please call us today or send us a message
The information contained on this website is presented by VanDerGinst Law P.C. It is not intended nor should it be construed as professional legal advice. The information is general in nature about the Firm, the scope of services we offer, and our community outreach, it is not legal advice. Please contact us by phone, email, mail, or via this website for inquiries. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation regarding your situation. This website is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of Iowa and/or the State of Illinois.