Find an Experienced Injury Lawyer to Help with Your Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents can cause the victim serious damage, requiring extensive medical treatment and leaving you unable to work.
If someone else was responsible for your bicycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical treatment, lost income, emotional trauma and more.
A bicycle accident attorney can help get you the justice you deserve and fight to help you recover compensation for your losses.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Car and truck drivers often claim that the errant riding of a cyclist is the main cause of an accident when a bicycle is involved, but often the driver’s negligence and failure to check for a smaller vehicle like a bicycle contribute or outright cause the accident on the road.
Other contributing causes to bicycle accidents in Illinois include speeding, inclement weather, and failure to adhere to traffic laws. The most common types of bicycle accidents our firm has handled include the following scenarios:
- Intersection collisions: this includes accidents at controlled intersections with stop signs or traffic signals in addition to uncontrolled intersections where there are no traffic signs to control the flow of vehicles.
- Stoplight collisions: this accident happens often when a vehicle speeds up to make a yellow light or does not pay attention when the light turns green.
- Left turn accidents: this type of accident occurs when a vehicle turns left and crosses the path of a bicyclist traveling down the road.
- Right turn accidents: this happens mostly when a bicycle is positioned on the right side of the road or in the right lane and a vehicle makes a right-hand turn. Many times the driver in a right turn accident loses the bicycle in a blind spot or does not check before making the turn.
- Dooring accidents: this accident occurs when a driver opens a vehicle door without checking first for cyclists. There is typically little to no time to react, and the bicycle collides with the vehicle door.
- Distracted driving accidents: this happens when a driver is texting, playing with the radio, or distracted by other passengers in the vehicle and not paying attention for bicyclists on the road.