Nic comes to the VLAW team with 35 years of experience helping Chicagoland clients navigate the legal system.
Over the last 3+ decades, he has worked primarily on behalf of individuals who’ve been injured by auto accidents, construction accidents, medical negligence, and premises liability issues.
He is experienced in both personal injury and worker’s compensation; and is familiar with the legal process in most Northern Illinois court districts.
Having spent some time handling cases on the defense side for several large self-insured corporations in regard to liability and workers’ compensation claims, he brings a unique perspective to the VLAW firm that will surely help our clients when entering the negotiation process.
He is very much looking forward to working on the side of “the people” and is committed to holding insurance companies & corporations accountable for the injuries our clients sustain, and seeking the recovery they deserve.
Nic is a lifelong resident of the Chicagoland area, having graduated from The John Marshall Law School. He lives in Brookfield. When he’s not fighting for the rights of the injured in Illinois, you can likely find him running, traveling, improving his golf game, or watching his beloved White Sox.
- Licensed in Illinois
- The John Marshall Law School, 1984
- St. Mary of the Plains College, 1980
Dodge City, KS
Bachelor of Science
- VanDerGinst Law, P.C. (2020 – Present)
- Law Office of Nicholas M. Bigoness, Oak Brook (1993-2020) Handled hundreds of actions on behalf of plaintiffs injured as a result of auto accidents, construction accidents, premises liability, hospital negligence, false imprisonment and insurance coverage. Handled numerous workers’ compensation claims at the IWCC in all the various sites in northern Illinois. Concurrently represent several large self-insured corporations in the defense of liability and workers’ compensation claims, primarily in Cook and the surrounding collar counties. Experienced in all phases of litigation and as plaintiff counsel have tried cases to verdict in Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will, and DeKalb counties with success.
- Jerome McSherry & Associates, Chicago (1988-1993) Staff attorney for American Insurance Group (AIG). Represented AIG insureds in substantial litigation involving personal injury, property damage and subrogation matters. Also represented an auto dealership in a class action brought under the Truth In Lending statute. Responsible for all aspects of litigation from the filing of responsive pleadings thru trial.
- Gerald M. Sachs & Associates, Chicago (1985-1988) Represented plaintiffs in a high volume personal injury/workers compensation firm. Handled claims through all stages of litigation, including review of medical records, medical depositions and presentation of witnesses at trial or hearing before the IWCC. Jury trials in Cook, DuPage, and Will counties.