While accidents happen all the time, it is rare for an accident to be so serious that it results in death.
So rare, in fact, that learning that a loved one has died in a car accident, slip and fall, or another serious accident type can be shocking.
If you are the surviving loved one of someone who has died in an accident that was caused by the fault of another party, you may have a wrongful death claim for damages.
At the office of VanderGinst Law, our wrongful death lawyers can help. Consider the following examples of wrongful death cases that are common, and please reach out to us directly if you think that you may have a claim.
Common Examples of Wrongful Death Cases
A wrongful death occurs when the death of
an individual is the result of another’s wrongful or neglectful act. As such,
the range of potential accident types that can lead to wrongful death is broad.
Some of the most common examples of wrongful death cases include:
- Car accidents. A leading cause of death in the United States and in the states of
Illinois and Iowa is that of motor vehicle accidents. Head-on collisions and
rollover accidents are particularly deadly, but any accident, especially one
that occurs at high speeds, can be fatal.
- Motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents. Motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians have
few protections to help prevent injuries in the event of a collision – indeed,
pedestrians don’t even have a helmet (and sometimes, motorcyclists and
bicyclists aren’t helmeted, either).
- Premises liability accidents. Many properties have conditions that pose
inherent risks, such as public pools, water parks, amusement parks, and more.
And even those properties that don’t have obvious risks could be dangerous – a
slip and fall, for example, can happen nearly anywhere. While most premises
liability accidents are not fatal, they can be, giving rise to a wrongful death
suit against the property owner.
- Workplace accidents. For many employees, the workplace is a dangerous place to be. Especially
for those who work around large equipment and machinery, such as construction
workers, fatal accidents are far too common.
- Defective drugs and medical devices. There is an expectation that the prescription
drugs and medical devices that are used will help patients, not harm them.
Unfortunately, defective drugs and medical devices put patients at risk, and
cause numerous injuries and deaths every year.
- Medical malpractice. Just as you may not expect a pharmaceutical or medical device to cause harm, so may you not expect to suffer harm at the hands of your doctor. But it happens. In fact, medical errors are a leading cause of death in the United States.
Call Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Today
Losing a loved one is tragic. We know that you are coping with your grief and numerous other burdens right now, and we want to help.
To learn more about your right to file a wrongful death claim and how to initiate the process today, please call our law firm directly or send us a message telling us more about your situation today.