Chicago was recently named the most bicycle-friendly city in the United States, and yet many drivers still do not take cyclists seriously on the roads.
The result is accidents with bicycles that injure the cyclist far worse than the driver of a car, truck, or other larger vehicle.
The victims of bicycle accidents in Illinois need a personal injury attorney that understands the issues that differentiate this type of accident case from the typical vehicle accident on the road and will fight for the compensation that bicycle victims are owed for their injuries.
At VanDerGinst Law, our skilled personal injury attorneys have years of combined experience helping the victims of bicycle accidents hold drivers accountable for their negligence and zealously advocate for the compensation our clients deserve for their injuries.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Car and truck drivers often claim that the errant riding of a cyclist is the main cause of an accident when a bicycle is involved, but often the driver’s negligence and failure to check for smaller vehicle like a bicycle contribute or outright cause the accident on the road.
Other contributing causes to bicycle accidents in Illinois include speeding, inclement weather, and failure to adhere to traffic laws. The most common types of bicycle accidents our firm has handled includes the following scenarios:
- Intersection collisions: this includes accidents at controlled intersections with stop signs or traffic signals in addition to uncontrolled intersection where there are no traffic signs to control the flow of vehicles.
- Stoplight collisions: this accident happens often when a vehicle speeds up to make a yellow light or does not pay attention when the light turns green.
- Left turn accidents: this type of accident occurs when a vehicle turns left and crosses the path of a bicyclist traveling down the road.
- Right turn accidents: this happens mostly when a bicycle is positioned on the right side of the road or in the right lane and a vehicle makes a right hand turn. Many times the driver in a right turn accident loses the bicycle in a blind spot or does not check before making the turn.
- Dooring accidents: this accident occurs when a driver opens a vehicle door without checking first for cyclists. There is typically little to no time to react, and the bicycle collides with the vehicle door.
- Distracted driving accidents: this happens when a driver is texting, playing with the radio, or distracted by other passengers in the vehicle and not paying attention for bicyclists on the road.
Damages for Bicycle Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that, on average, more than 600 bicyclists die and another 52,000 are injured in bicycle accidents nationwide annually. In Illinois, 27 deaths and 3,020 injuries were reported in 2014 for bicycle accidents alone. Compensation for these accidents includes economic and noneconomic damages for the injuries inflicted on the cyclist.
Damages include payment for property damage, medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, disfigurement, disability, and the loss of enjoyment of life. Talk to a personal injury today to learn more about possible compensation for your bicycle accident claims.
Call or Contact Our Office Today
To have an experienced bicycle accident attorney review your case and talk to you about your legal options, call or contact us today at VanDerGinst Law in Illinois.