Iowa Workers’ Compensation Laws

Iowa Workplace Injury Attorney Assisting
Clients with Workers’ Comp Claims

Iowa Workers’ Compensation Laws

Getting hurt at work can be a devastating experience.

Too often, accidents and injuries happen quickly and without warning, and sometimes those injuries are serious enough that the injured employee is not able to return to work.

In some cases, a worker’s injuries will be serious but temporary, and after medical treatment and rehabilitation that worker will be able to return to the job.

However, for other injured employees, accidents and injuries at work are so severe that the worker sustains injuries that result in a permanent disability. For most Iowa workers injured at work, the best path to financial compensation is by filing a workers’ compensation claim in Iowa.

Whether you need compensation to help pay for lost wages and medical bills until you return to work, or you need assistance seeking compensation for a permanent and disabling injury, an Iowa workers’ compensation lawyer at our firm can help. In the meantime, we want to provide you with additional information about Iowa workers’ compensation laws.

What is Workers’ Compensation in Iowa?

Workers’ compensation law in Iowa (Iowa Code § 85.61) requires most employers in the state to have insurance that provides benefits to injured workers when those injuries arise in and out of the course of employment. Workers’ compensation covers many different types of injuries and illnesses.

In most cases, when the injury happens on the job, the worker may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. This is true whether the employee sustains injuries on an actual job site (such as a construction site or an office building) or on the road when driving if driving is part of your job.

However, in most cases, if you are injured in a car accident driving to or from work before or after your workday, this will not be considered an injury arising in and out of the course of employment.

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Iowa

In order to file a workers’ compensation claim in Iowa, you need to take a number of steps. These need to happen within specific periods of time:

  • Within 90 days of the time you sustained the injury or should have known you sustained the injury, you must inform your employer. If you do not, your benefits can be denied;
  • Within two years from the date of the injury, the injured employee must file an application for arbitration. This takes place if weekly workers’ compensation benefits have not been paid.
  • Within three years from the last payment of benefits, an employee must file an action with the workers’ compensation commissioner. This takes place if that employee is seeking additional benefits.

Types of Workers’ Compensation Benefits
in Iowa

If you file a workers’ compensation claim, you may be eligible to receive the following benefits:

  • Medical care;
  • Temporary total disability;
  • Temporary permanent disability;
  • Permanent total disability;
  • Healing period benefits; and
  • Death benefits.

Depending on your specific circumstances, there are also additional areas of financial recovery may be available.

Contact a Workers’ Comp Attorney in Iowa

An experienced Iowa workers’ compensation lawyer can speak with you today about your case. Contact VanDerGinst Law for more information.

VanDerGinst Law is fortunate to continue to serve our clients during this time despite the government ordered “shelter in place” and business shutdown. We are conducting business, including opening new cases, remotely via phone, email, and/or virtual conferencing. We are also available to take appointments at our offices by appointment only. Please call 800-960-8529 or email

Contact Us