Summer has officially arrived! More and more people are making their way to nearby lakes and beaches for outdoor water recreation.
Boating also tops the list of popular recreational water activities. When done safely, it can be a fun way to enjoy the outdoors with our loved ones.
It’s easy to forget that in addition to being an enjoyable outdoor activity, boating can also be extremely dangerous. This is especially true for those who are not familiar with the necessary safety procedures.
In many cases, fault for this type of accident can be at the feet of a water excursion company, a manufacturer, a marina, or even the person who invited you onto the boat.
These individuals and entities are liable if their negligence results in a boating accident. If you suffer injuries while boating through no fault of your own, please contact our boating accident legal team.
Boating Accident Tips
If you are in a boating accident, there are a few important steps that you should consider taking, including:
- Determine if anyone requires medical attention, emergency or otherwise, and if so, call proper authorities;
- Move out of harm’s way, this is especially important for boaters who are thrown from their vessel after a collision;
- Account for everyone in your party and help others who were thrown from the boat get back on board;
- Move boat to safety and ensure that vessel isn’t blocking safe passage of other boats in the area; and
- Notify the Coast Guard, who can gather information from the scene, prepare a boating accident report, tow your boat to safety, and provide emergency medical care.
Taking these measures is also important to ensuring that boating accident victims receive medical assistance. Therefore, they can get safe as soon as possible after a collision.
Additional steps that can play a critical role in personal injury claims stemming from this type of accident are:
- Exchange insurance, registration numbers, and contact information with any other boaters in the accident;
- Obtain contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident;
- Collect evidence from the scene of the accident, including taking photographs of boat, damaged safety gear, and injuries; and
- Seek assistance from an experienced boating accident attorney who has the tools and resources to investigate the accident, negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurer, or represent your interests at trial.
Call Today for Legal Assistance
If you were in a boating accident and have questions about whether you qualify for compensation, please call VanderGinst Law at 800-797-5391. Speak with a dedicated boat accident attorney about your legal options.