According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Label for Risperdal details, this prescription medication can help treat such mood disorders as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and some symptoms of autism.
However, this dangerous drug may also lead to an increased risk of death in certain individuals, including elderly patients with dementia.
You do have rights if you or a loved one suffers injuries from taking Risperdal.
Our team at VanDerGinst Law can assist you in filing a claim for compensation for your losses, so please contact us to set up a free consultation.
You may also benefit from reviewing some background information on Risperdal lawsuits.
Multiple Side Effects from Risperdal
The list of health complications, medical conditions, and other side effects from Risperdal is lengthy – so long that the manufacturers were found criminally liable for various forms of conduct.
- Nervous system disorders, which can cause high fever, muscle stiffness, spikes in blood pressure, and irregular heartbeat. Some forms are life-threatening and fatal if not treated immediately;
- Muscle movement issues, leading a person to be unable to control large portions of the body; and,
- Gynecomastia, which refers to the development of breast tissues in males who took Risperdal. Though not life-threatening, the condition is disturbing and must be surgically corrected.
In addition, Risperdal has been linked to increased mortality rates among elderly patients with dementia.
Heart failure, pneumonia, stroke, and other life-threatening conditions are typically listed as the cause of death.
Legal Foundation for Risperdal Lawsuits
Most of the cases that have already been
filed regarding Risperdal are based upon one or more claims regarding product
liability, such as:
- Manufacturing Defects: This error involves an aspect of the production process that deviates from the normal routine. Accidentally introducing a foreign substance or dangerous ingredient during manufacturing are examples.
- Errors in Design or Development: The design blueprint of a drug may make it dangerous, often because the “recipe” includes a known hazardous substance.
- Mistakes in Marketing: Many types of errors may be involved when a medication is marketing to physicians and patients. The manufacturer may fail to warn of potential side effects or avoid including important information on a label. However, there also be misconduct in marketing as in the case of Risperdal. The manufacturer was charged with criminal healthcare fraud for misbranding the drug, promoting it for unapproved uses, and issuing kickbacks to doctors.
Compensation for Your Losses
If successful in a claim regarding Risperdal, you may be entitled to such damages as medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and many other types of compensation.
Surviving family members may also be eligible for monetary damages for a loved one’s death to due complications from taking Risperdal.
Trust a Dangerous Drugs Attorney to Help with Risperdal Lawsuits
If you were injured or lost a loved one due to complications from taking Risperdal, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses.
Our lawyers at VanDerGinst Law can explain more about dangerous drug cases after reviewing your circumstances, so please contact our office to schedule a consultation today.
Contact VanDerGinst Law today. We have knowledgeable and experienced attorneys who can help guide you through the complexities of your case and help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve. The consultation is free and there is never a fee unless we win. Call VanDerGinst Law at 800-797-5391. The law is tough, being injured is tougher. We’ll make it easier for you.
The information contained on this website is presented by VanDerGinst Law P.C. It is not intended nor should it be construed as professional legal advice. The information is general in nature about the Firm, the scope of services we offer, and our community outreach, it is not legal advice. Please contact us by phone, email, mail, or via this website for inquiries. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation regarding your situation. This website is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of Iowa and/or the State of Illinois.