Slip and Fall Accident Checklist
Whether it’s a place of business or someone
else’s own home, slip and fall accidents can happen any time, anywhere. Here is
a general checklist of what to do if you suffer a slip and fall accident:
Report the slip and fall accident
- Depending on the location, this could be the property owner, property manager, retail store manager, your immediate supervisor, etc. See our article “6 Common Locations Where Slip & Fall Accidents Happen” for more information.
Fill-out an incident report/document the incident
- Depending on the location, there will be different requirements regarding paperwork. If you suffered a slip and fall at work, you will need to complete any and all paperwork required by your employer. If you experienced a slip and fall at a public store or other public places, there may be an incident report that you would be asked to complete. See our article “6 Common Locations Where Slip & Fall Accidents Happen” for more information. Be sure to obtain and/or retain any copies of such reports.
Seek immediate medical attention
- It’s important that you be evaluated by a qualified medical physician as soon as possible. They can then direct your care, including referring you to a specialist if your injuries require additional or specialized treatment such as a physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, chiropractor, or massage therapist. For more information on this topic, see our article, “I Feel Fine After My Accident, Should I See a Doctor?”
Photograph the location
- Taking photographs of the location, anything on the floor or ground, any warning signs or lack of signs, and any determining factors in the fall are critical. We recommend you do this right away if you can, depending on your injuries. Inquire about any security footage, is possible. It may also be helpful to take photographs of the clothing, including shoes, you were wearing at the time of the incident.
Document your injuries
- It’s important to document your injuries which include photographs. This includes any scrapes or bruises, swelling, stitches, or orthopedic or assistance medical devices prescribed for you. This can provide valuable evidence to substantiate your claim.
Gather witnesses’ names, addresses, and phone numbers
- This may be difficult to do if you are seriously injured but making note of any witnesses along with their contact information can be very important to your claim. Remember, you can use a note pad app or the contacts app in your cell phone to record names, addresses, and phone numbers.
Do not speak about the incident with anyone other than those assisting in completing the initial incident report and, of course, your medical providers.
- This includes not sharing details on social media and/or with friends. Information on social media and communications with friends and family may differ from the information in the incident report or your medical records. This could cause problems with any claim you make later for your injuries.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney like VanDerGinst Law
- Recovering from injuries suffered during a slip and fall accident can be difficult enough without having to deal with the red tape of working with insurance providers to ensure your medical care is paid for. Depending on the location of the incident, different laws and rules apply that can be very complicated. Contact VanDerGinst Law as soon as you are able following your accident and initial treatment. Early action on your part to contact an attorney will make the investigation effective and allow you to focus on your recovery.
VanDerGinst Law is an experienced law
firm that focuses on personal injury law, including slip and fall accidents. We
have knowledgeable and experienced attorneys who understand premise liability
in both Iowa and Illinois and can help guide you through the complexities of
your cases and help obtain financial compensation for injuries suffered in slip
and fall accidents. VanDerGinst Law has handled many types of slip and fall
accident cases. The law is tough and being injured is tougher. We’ll
make it easier for you.
If you suffered an injury from a slip and fall accident in
Iowa or Illinois, contact VanDerGinst Law, P.C. at 800-960-8529 or request a free consultation.