How to Get Your Iowa State Patrol Accident Report

Iowa Accident Report

If you are involved in a car accident in Iowa, you need to get your Iowa State Patrol crash report.

Your Iowa accident report is a helpful resource for making claims with insurance providers.

If you need to pursue legal action, an accident report can also serve as evidence in your lawsuit.

The Importance of Your Report

Your crash report is written by the police officer who responded to the crash. The report indicates who is responsible for the accident and details injuries resulting from the crash.

Accident reports can be accessed by persons involved in the accident, their attorneys, or insurance companies.

Obtaining a Copy of Your Iowa Accident Report

You can get your report online here or in-person at the Iowa State Patrol District Office.

Online reports will only be available for 15 days, and reports older than 15 days will be available at the Iowa State Patrol District Office for a fee of $4.

You can access the list of District Offices and their locations here.

You can obtain a copy by completing the Request for Copy of Investigating Officer’s Report of an Accident form.

List the date of the accident, time, location, and names and driver license numbers of the drivers involved.

You can mail your request or bring the form to the District Office that has jurisdiction over where the crash occurred.

Reporting An Accident

An accident occurring in Iowa that causes death, personal injury, or property damage totaling $1500 or more must be reported on an Iowa Accident Report form.

This driver’s report is not required when a police officer responds and investigates the crash.

To receive a copy of the accident report you filled out, mail a written request to:

Iowa Department of Transportation Driver & Identification Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204

Include your driver’s license number, complete mailing address, and the date of the accident in the written request. Note that a copy costs 50 cents.

What to Do if You Were Injured in an Accident

If you sustain injuries from a motor vehicle crash, contact a personal injury attorney.

At VanDerGinst Law, our attorneys are here to help with your personal injury needs.

With over 30 years experience, our firm gets our clients the compensation they deserve.

If you need an attorney that is on your side, contact our office online to schedule a consultation today.

The information contained on this website is presented by VanDerGinst Law P.C. It is not intended nor should it be construed as professional legal advice. The information is general in nature about the Firm, the scope of services we offer, and our community outreach, it is not legal advice. Please contact us by phone, email, mail, or via this website for inquiries. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation regarding your situation. This website is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of Iowa and/or the State of Illinois.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This