Delayed Injuries from a Car Accident: What’s Next?
Pain after a car accident can be delayed for days or weeks. Therefore you should always get checked out by a doctor after an accident even if you are feeling fine. It can be difficult to get compensation for delayed injuries from a car accident. The insurance company may try to claim that something other than the accident caused your injuries since time has passed. If you experience symptoms days or weeks after a car accident, you should visit a doctor as soon as possible. Then talk to an experienced car accident attorney who can help protect your interests. Why Are Some Injuries Delayed After a Car Accident And Don’t Appear Right Away? Pain after a car accident can be delayed due to the intense circumstances of the moment. An accident can cause an increase in adrenaline and endorphins, which can mask pain. You may also experience emotional distress or shock that can numb you to pain after a car accident. Additionally, symptoms of certain types of injuries, such as whiplash and concussions, may take time to manifest. What Symptoms of Delayed Car Accident Injuries Should You Watch Out for? Even if a doctor checked you out, you should keep an eye out for symptoms in the weeks following your accident. If you experience symptoms, you should seek medical help immediately, both for your own health and to document your claim for insurance. Your doctor should tell you what specific symptoms to watch out for, which may include some of the following.
- Headaches can be a sign of several different injuries, including concussion, whiplash, and PTSD. Pay attention to the severity and location of your pain after a car accident. This can help your doctor diagnose the underlying cause.
- Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain can indicate internal bleeding or other soft tissue damage.
- Internal bleeding can be fatal, so it is important to get medical help right away.
- Back, Neck, or Shoulder Pain
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain are common symptoms of whiplash.
- They may also indicate other types of soft tissue damage, herniated discs, or sprains.
- Numbness or Tingling
- Numbness and tingling can indicate the presence of a spinal injury or nerve damage. These symptoms may worsen if untreated and can cause serious complications.
- Emotional or Psychological Changes In addition to your physical well-being, an accident can impact your emotional health. If you find yourself with increased depression, stress, or anxiety, or if those around you observe changes in your personality, it’s important to seek help. These symptoms may be caused by emotional trauma from the accident or even from a brain injury.
Why It’s Important to Not Settle Too Quickly Because pain after a car accident can be delayed, it is important to wait before settling your accident claim. Give yourself time to document symptoms and injuries after a car accident. If you sign a settlement agreement with the insurance company or accept a settlement payment, you will likely forfeit any further claims for the accident. This means that if you discover additional injuries later or require more medical treatment, the insurance company will not pay for it. An attorney can help you determine the value of your claim and advise you when to settle. Have an Attorney Evaluate Your Case A car accident attorney from VanDerGinst Law can help you fight for the compensation you are entitled to. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for accident victims over the past 30 years, and we would be honored to help you as well. Contact us as soon as possible after your car accident. We can advise you about seeking medical treatment, documenting your injuries, and negotiating with the insurance company to maximize your chances of a favorable result. Don’t stress—we’re here to help.
Don’t Need an Injury Lawyer Right Now?
Save us for later when you need us most.
Scan the QR code below, or print out our card and take our contact information with you. That way if you are unfortunate enough to need a personal injury lawyer, we are an easy phone call away. No matter your location, we would be honored to help.
Download “VanDerGinst Law Contact Card”Display-Size.jpg – Downloaded 636 times – 98.08 KB
If You Are On A Mobile Device
Click the button below to add us to your phone contacts list. (You will be prompted to download a .vcf file).
The information contained on this website is presented by VanDerGinst Law P.C. It is not intended nor should it be construed as professional legal advice. The information is general in nature about the Firm, the scope of services we offer, and our community outreach, it is not legal advice. Please contact us by phone, email, mail, or via this website for inquiries. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation regarding your situation. This website is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of Iowa and/or the State of Illinois.