Legal Secretary / Paralegal
Full time positions
Cedar Rapids, IA and Moline, IL
VanDerGinst Law is currently seeking positions in both our Cedar Rapids and Moline office locations.
The preferred candidate will have a demonstrated ability to assist a multi-attorney practice headquartered in the Quad Cities at its satellite location in Cedar Rapids by performing paralegal/legal assistant duties as assigned. Must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform client intake interviews by phone and in person.
- Research and prepare client personal injury claims including but not limited to correspondence with insurance adjusters, requesting reports and records, and identifying witnesses and necessary evidence.
- Drafting documents, including proper formatting and editing per attorney’s notes.
- Answering a multi-line phone system with other staff.
- Daily contact with clients, including in person, over the telephone, and via email.
- Filing documents via e-filing, through state and federal court systems.
- Case preparation, including organization of all documents for all hearings, pretrial conferences, and trials.
- Developing familiarity and proficiency with case management software systems used by the firm.
- Reading correspondence, reports, and legal documents.
- Organizing client conferences and attorney meetings.
- Scheduling process servers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions.
- Maintaining attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering.
- Following-up on delegated assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Desire and strong ability to work in a team environment
- Associate’s Degree required
- Microsoft Office Experience including MSWord, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and desire to produce a quality product
- Ability to multi-task
- 1+ years secretarial experience
- 1+ years legal office experience
- Paralegal certification
- Bachelor’s degree
- Work experience with insurance adjusting and/or personal Injury claims
- Ability to understand and draft discovery documents and pleadings
- Experience with online legal research
Compensation: $17.00 to $22.00 /hour, DOE. More possible with strong litigation
offers health/dental/vision and life insurance, paid holidays, and PTO.
Hours Requirements: This is a full-time position, generally 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM on Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required from time to time. However, employer will consider an applicant desiring less than full-time employment.
Send resume to: Dennis VanDerGinst at email@example.com.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of
a criminal background check. This employer is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. In
compliance with all Federal and State equal employment laws, qualified
applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, gender preference, gender
identity, or non-job related disability.
View all available positions on our Careers page.