What to do if you are invovlved in a boating accident.

With the spring upon us and summer just around the corner boating will take its’ place as one of the favorite activities of people in our local communities. The Mississippi, Rock River and other rivers, streams and lakes will become crowded with fun loving boaters. The combination of crowds and inevitable alcohol intake, can make boating a potentially dangerous activity. If you are involved in a boating accident there are a number of things you should do regardless of who was at fault and/or if you were injured:

1. Boating accidents often require a report be given to the state agency which regulates boats and/or to the United States Coast Guard. The boat operator should contact the proper agency to determine if a report is required. The report could be required if the operator is involved in a collision with another boat or an “allision”, a collision with a fixed object or non moving vessel. Failure to remain on the scene, render aid and properly report and accident may result in criminal charges.

2. If you were injured due to the negligence of the operator of the boat you were in, or the operator of another boat, your first concern should be to get proper medical attention. After that, or simultaneously, you or someone on your behalf should contact the proper authorities to ensure that the accident have been properly reported.

3. Next, you should contact VanDerGinst Law so that our experienced boating accident attorneys can contact the appropriate insurance carriers, coordinate medical treatment and payment of bills, and ultimately get you the compensation to which you are entitled. Compensation may include payment of medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, disability, scarring, out of pocket expenses and anything else reasonably necessary to make you financial whole. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or death as the result of a boat accident, call VanDerGinst Law at 1-866-788-LAWS (5297). The first consultation is FREE and there is NO attorney fee unless we get you money for your injuries.